Thursday, November 18, 2010

Aba Aba Aba


I know I’m lucky.

He sweeps. He mops. He hangs laundry on the drying rack. He rubs my feet.

He sits on the little green stool next to Sebastian at the activity table, and fastidiously draws and cuts and pastes for what seem like hours. He deftly lifts Liliana from her bed and soothes her softly when she cries out at night. He bends forwards to carry Sebastian on his back and bends backwards to airplane Liliana on his legs. He is patient, loving, and kind.

And it’s driving me crazy.

I know what you’re thinking: oh please, get over yourself, you've got nothing to bitch about. But please: hear me out. Consider these scenarios.

We appear outside Sebastian’s gan at 1:30 pm to pick him up. We is me and Lance; Ima and Aba, side by side. Sebastian runs excitedly to Lance and jumps into his arms calling Aba Aba. I hold my arms out readily and beg for a hug. Then close them in gracelessly.

Or this.

Liliana is seated at the breakfast table sniveling. I go to appease her, to pacify her, to soothe her. I try to take her into my arms. But she cries “Aba’ye”. I give up.

What woman doesn’t want a good dad for her children?
But a super-dad? Well like we say in Hebrew, לא צריך להגזים, there’s no need to exaggerate.

Just the other morning Sebastian climbed into our bed, clambered in between Lance and I, and nestled up to Lance. Naturally, I tried to get close to him, to partake in this velvety morning delicacy. But the small and purposeful hand that was thrust in my direction told me that there was no place for me in this morning delight.

Feeling completely spurned and rejected by the child I had nursed and nurtured all these (FOUR!) years, I sullenly dragged myself out of bed, set to preparing the oatmeal, and grudgingly plopped a bowl in front of my firstborn as tears clotted in my throat. Such is behavior I might be willing to entertain ten years from now, when I harbor an aloof teenager in my home, but now? At age four? Why these early years are supposed to be the cuddle era, the nuzzle era -- the mommy era!!!

Later that morning, after Sebastian had gone to school, I turned dourly to Lance, as tears welled in my eyes. He took me in his arms, caressed me, rocked me, and as my heart melted and my wounded tears turned tender, all I could think was Aba Aba Aba.

Postcript: A few evenings ago I returned home to an exuberant reception. Sebastian ran over and embraced me snugly. I clasped him firmly and held the moment as I held my son. Until my trance was shaken by Liliana’s cry. She too was waiting for her hug. Hurt feelings and hugs it seems, is the substance of childhood. And parenthood. 

6 comments:

  1. I totally get it... I completely understand... it hurts sometimes and although we love that we have amazing Pappas ... these kiddos are so very lucky... but sometimes we need some extra cuddles! I know, both of our girls are Pappa girls... they hang out with pappa so much -he stays at home with them on my work days... park days... feed the ducks... do the laundry bake together... but sometimes I want to have a Mamma day... just fun stuff with them! ok I'm on it! what a sweet guy you have there! Lance rocks!!! and so do you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kollene! It's very nice to have the affirmation from a fellow mama! Especially one I admire so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, it's common for the firstborn to be more attached to the dad after the baby "takes over" the mom. And sometimes, your little girl wants her daddy. But I understand your feelings and feelings of rejection. Don't be hurt though. Enjoy the honesty of the children who express their feelings without "political correctness." You can be sure your son loves you like crazy, even as he snuggles with his dad.
    Gorgeous kids by the way!
    Linda (from writing class)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you Linda. I appreciate your keen and generous perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edith from VancouverJanuary 6, 2011 at 7:53 PM

    this one brought tears to my eyes, Dana. So beautifully and honestly written...... again,-- thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Edith. That means a lot to me.

      Delete